KSE, Inc. is the occupant of a 12,000 sq. ft. research and development/light manufacturing building located in Sunderland, MA. The privately owned building contains 1,500 sq. ft. of high bay manufacturing space, 4,500 sq. ft. of laboratory space, and an instrument room, a library, two conference rooms, and offices. The building contains 38 linear feet of hood space and two walk-in hoods along with several pilot plant areas. Extensive process design and data analysis software are maintained, including Aspen Plus process simulation software. KSE's facilities and equipment support both research and development as well as consulting activities for litigation support.
Laboratories and Pilot Scale Equipment
KSE maintains a fully equipped laboratory for general research and development in catalysis, biomass conversion and separations. KSE also has an assembly area and capabilities to construct pilot-scale and prototype units. KSE routinely brings technologies from laboratory experiments up to prototypes and pilot plant operations. The company typically works with investors, licensees, or strategic partners to carry novel technology concepts from pilot plants operations to commercialized processes.
Equipment at KSE's facilities includes:
- 3 Shimadzu 2014 Gas Chromatographs
- 2 HP 5890 Gas Chromatographs
- 1 Perkin Elmer Series 200 High Precision Liquid Chromatograph
- a 6 ton process chiller, with a circulating hot and cold glycol system which serves the high bay process area
- 5 continuous packed absorption columns, ranging from a small differential column to an 8 foot column with side sampling ports.
- Reactors for both gas and liquid reactions. All reactors are capable of unattended operation.
- 7 high temperature oxidation reactors, ranging from small quartz glass tubular to large stainless steel continuous reactors
- 1 PARR high temperature catalytic reactor system
- 2 high temperature stirred tank reactors
- 20 tubular reactors for both gas and liquid reactions. The reactor gas flow rates range from about 30 cc/min to 500 SCFM.
- An Ace glass 600mL jacketed CSTR
- 2 continuous extraction units.
- distillation column capabilities, ranging from 18 inches in length to six feet in length. The units have electric reboilers and chiller condensers
- Koch KARR jacketed counter current extraction unit, outfitted with two KNF Simdos pumps with digital metering for continuous duty.